Are you looking for the best camshaft for your Lq4 engine with 317 heads? Look no further! In this article, we will discuss the top options available that will enhance the performance of your engine. But let’s start with a real-life success story.
My close friend faced an issue with his Lq4 engine and upon my recommendation, he purchased the Best Cam for Lq4 with 317 Heads. The camshaft resolved his problem and boosted the overall performance of his engine.
If you’re facing a similar issue, keep reading as we will provide you with more recommendations based on real-life experiences.
Here Are The Top 10 Best Cam for Lq4 with 317 Heads:
1. Stage 3 LS Truck Best Cam for Lq4 with 317 Heads Kit, Compatible with 1999-2013 GM Equipped with 4.8L 5.3L 6.0L 6.2L Engines:
Our top pick for the best cam for the LQ4 engine with 317 heads is the Stage 3 LS Truck Cam Kit. This kit is compatible with 1999-2013 GM trucks and SUVs equipped with 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, and 6.2L engines.
What we love about this kit is its comprehensive package. It includes the Stage III V2 Camshaft, LS Hat Valve Seals, LS6 Beehive Valve Spring Kit, and 7.400″ long Chromoly Pushrods.
These components are made from high-strength steel and have a corrosion-resistant coating, ensuring their durability and long lifespan.
The Stage III camshaft offers a noticeable idle and increased average torque production compared to the Stage II cam.
It is designed to enhance power without sacrificing low-end torque, making it an excellent choice for heavier vehicles like Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, and Cadillac Escalade.
Installation of a 2800-3000 converter is recommended for the best overall performance, although it can also work with the stock converter in some trucks.
We stand by the quality of this product, which is why we offer a 60-month warranty. If you encounter any issues with the Stage III cam spring kit, such as cracking or failure, simply contact us for a resolution.
Therefore, the Stage 3 LS Truck Cam Kit is our top choice for engines with 317 heads installed in LQ4 engines. With its performance-enhancing features, premium quality materials, and extended warranty, it is an excellent investment for any truck or SUV enthusiast.
– Increased torque and power without sacrificing low-end performance.
– Designed for GM trucks and SUVs equipped with 4.8L-6.2L engines.
– Durable construction with corrosion protection for long lifespan.
– Includes all necessary components for easy installation.
– Comes with a 5-year warranty for added peace of mind.
– Limited compatibility with specific GM engine models
– Requires additional installation of a converter for optimal performance
– Not suitable for vehicles other than GM trucks and SUVs
– Limited lift on camshaft may not meet the needs of all users
– Warranty may not cover all possible issues or failures.
2. IBESTWOLF Engine Camshaft Cam 3-Bolt 12560967 for 1999-2007 Chevy GMC Truck SUV 4.8L 5.3L V8:
When it comes to upgrading your Chevy or GMC Truck SUV’s performance, the IBESTWOLF Engine Camshaft is a must-have.
As our 2nd pick, this camshaft offers exceptional quality and durability, ensuring it can withstand the demands of your 1999-2007 Chevy GMC Truck SUV with a 4.8L or 5.3L V8 engine.
Manufactured from high-quality materials, this camshaft is built to last. Its long-life design guarantees worry-free performance, giving you peace of mind while hitting the road.
With a part number of 12560967 and MC1383, it perfectly fits the 3-bolt setup of the engine.
What sets this camshaft apart is its precision engineering. The IBESTWOLF Engine Camshaft is designed to optimize fit and function, ensuring optimal performance. Whether you’re looking to improve horsepower, torque, or overall engine efficiency, this camshaft delivers.
In the package, you’ll receive a single camshaft, making installation quick and hassle-free. With its compatibility with the 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L engines, it offers versatility for various Chevy GMC Truck SUV models.
Upgrade your LQ4 engine with the IBESTWOLF Engine Camshaft, the perfect aftermarket camshaft for your 1999-2007 Chevy GMC Truck SUV with 4.8L or 5.3L V8 engine. Experience improved performance and reliability with this high-quality camshaft.
– High quality and durable materials for long wear
– Designed for long-life and worry-free performance
– Precision engineered for optimum fit and function
– Compatible with 1999-2007 Chevy GMC Truck SUV with 4.8L and 5.3L V8 engines
– Comes with all necessary components for easy installation.
– Limited compatibility with specific Chevy and GMC models
– No detailed installation instructions included
– Possible issues with fit and function due to precision engineering
– Only includes one camshaft, additional parts may be needed
– May not be suitable for engines other than 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L.
3. Brian Tooley Racing BTR LS Stage 3 Truck Camshaft:
Our 3rd pick for the best camshaft for the LQ4 engine with 317 heads is the Brian Tooley Racing BTR LS Stage 3 Truck Camshaft.
This camshaft, along with the accompanying LS Beehive Spring Kit, LS 7.400″ BTR Chromoly Pushrods, and OEM Style LS Hat Valve Seal Kit, offers incredible performance benefits for your truck.
What we love about this camshaft is its Stage 3 grind, which strikes the perfect balance between power and torque. While you may sacrifice some low-end torque, you gain substantial power in the higher RPM range.
The distinct idle note from the Brian Tooley Racing camshaft adds to the overall appeal.
This camshaft is ideal for truck enthusiasts who are looking for an upgrade in performance.
Though it may not be the best fit for everyday haulers, it can still work with the stock converter in some trucks. For optimal performance, we recommend installing a 2800-3000 converter.
Whether you own a Silverado, Sierra, Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, or Escalade with a 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, or 6.2 engine, this camshaft will deliver excellent results. However, keep in mind that a 3-bolt timing gear is required.
If you’re looking to enhance the performance of your LQ4 engine with 317 heads, the Brian Tooley Racing BTR LS Stage 3 Truck Camshaft is a top contender. Its power and impressive idle note make it a great choice for truck enthusiasts seeking an upgrade.
– Improved power and performance in higher RPM range.
– Distinct BTR idle note adds a unique character.
– Tow-friendly camshaft for hauling needs.
– Compatible with a variety of truck models.
– Can work with both stock and aftermarket converters.
– Sacrifices low-end torque for more power higher in RPM range
– Not ideal for everyday hauling
– May require aftermarket converter for optimal performance
– Requires a 3 bolt timing gear
– Some trucks may need a higher capacity converter for best performance.
4. Sloppy Mechanics Stage 1 Camshaft:
Our 4th pick, the Sloppy Mechanics Stage 1 Camshaft, is a fantastic choice for those looking to upgrade their LQ4 engine with 317 heads.
This camshaft offers a mid-level profile, providing a noticeable lope at idle without being overly aggressive. With specs of 216/220 duration and .560″ lift, this camshaft delivers impressive power and torque while still keeping costs low.
One of the standout features of the Sloppy Mechanics Stage 1 Camshaft is its versatility. It fits all Gen 3/4 LS engines, including 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, and 6.2, as well as LS1, LS6, LS2, LQ4, and LQ9. This makes it an ideal choice for a variety of applications, from daily drivers to street rods to LS swaps.
Another advantage of this camshaft is its compatibility with both aftermarket and stock exhaust systems.
While it will certainly be noticeable with aftermarket exhaust, it can still be concealed with stock exhaust if desired.
Furthermore, this camshaft is a great option for automatic transmissions with a stock stall converter, ensuring smooth performance in daily driving situations.
With its perfect balance of performance, power, and affordability, the Stage 1 Camshaft by Sloppy Mechanics is a great option for your engine. Whether you’re seeking a camshaft for your LQ4 engine with 317 heads or looking to upgrade your LS setup, this camshaft is definitely worth considering.
– Great power and torque with low costs
– Noticeable lope at idle without being overly aggressive
– Suitable for daily drivers with stock-like driving experience
– Compatible with various LS engines and applications
– Can be hidden with stock exhaust systems
– May not be suitable for those seeking an aggressive camshaft profile.
– Lope at idle may not be preferred by all users.
– Noticeable only with aftermarket exhaust, potentially hidden with stock systems.
– May not be compatible with manual transmission vehicles.
– Limited options for customization or upgrade beyond the provided kits.
5. LABLT Sloppy Mechanics Stage 2 Camshaft Kit Replacement for SS2 LS1 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 LS Cam LQ4 LM7:
For those searching for the best camshaft for their LQ4 engine, we recommend the LABLT Sloppy Mechanics Stage 2 Camshaft Kit.
This kit includes everything you need to upgrade your camshaft – springs, seals, gaskets, and pushrods. The Stage 2 camshaft offers a fairly aggressive profile, resulting in a nice lopey idle and impressive power gains.
One of the standout features of this camshaft kit is its affordability. Despite its performance-oriented design, it offers excellent value for the price. The durability and long service life of the components also contribute to its appeal.
It’s worth noting that no installation guides are included, so professional installation is recommended. Before purchasing, be sure to confirm that this kit is compatible with your specific LS1 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, or 6.2 LS Cam LQ4 or LM7 engine.
A Stage 2 Camshaft Kit from LABLT Sloppy Mechanics is a great option for those looking to upgrade their LQ4 engine with 317 heads. Its aggressive profile, affordability, and included components make it a worthy choice to consider.
– Includes all necessary components for installation
– Aggressive profile for a distinct and powerful engine sound
– High-quality construction for durability and long service life
– Affordable option for upgrading engine performance
– Versatile fit for multiple LS engine models
– No installation guides included, may require professional installation.
– Fairly aggressive cam profile may not be suitable for all engines.
– Some customers may find the “lopey” idle to be too rough.
– Product may not be compatible with all LS engine models.
– Lack of clear instructions for confirming compatibility with specific models.
6. Elgin Sloppy Mechanics Stage 1.5 Camshaft E-1839-P:
The Elgin Sloppy Mechanics Stage 1.5 Camshaft E-1839-P is the ideal choice for those seeking a budget-friendly upgrade for their LQ4 engines with 317 heads.
This camshaft fits all Gen 3/4 LS engines from 4.8 to 6.2 liters, including popular variants like LS1, LS2, LS6, LQ4, and LQ9.
With specifications of 220/224 duration and .575″ lift on a 112LSA, the E-1839-P offers a bridge between the Sloppy Stage 1 and 2 camshafts.
This allows for noticeable power gains from the mid-range to the redline, while delivering a pleasing lopey idle.
Taking the Elgin Sloppy Mechanics Stage 1 as a whole, it is a poor effort.5 Camshaft E-1839-P is a reliable and affordable upgrade for LQ4 engines with 317 heads. Its compatibility, performance gains, and kit options make it our 6th pick for the best camshaft choice in this category.
– Cost-effective upgrade for LS engines
– Bridging the gap between Stage 1 and 2 camshafts
– Suitable for smaller 4.8L engines
– Provides a nice lopey idle and power gains
– Versatile application for cars, trucks, SUVs, and LS swaps.
– May require additional kits for VVT engines and 1-bolt camshaft conversions.
– Costs may still be a factor for some customers.
– Limited compatibility with certain engine models.
– May not provide the same level of performance as higher stage camshafts.
– Installation may require additional components not included in the kit.
7. Brian Tooley Racing BTR Stage 2 Turbo Cam LS Camshaft Only for LS1 LS2 LS3 LQ4 LQ9 LM7 4.8 5.3 6.0 6.2:
The BTR Stage 2 Turbo Cam LS Camshaft is a top-notch choice for anyone seeking enhanced performance in their LQ4 engine with 317 heads.
As the 7th pick in our ranking, this camshaft offers an impressive array of features and benefits.
One notable advantage is its versatility. Manufactured by Brian Tooley Racing (BTR), this camshaft suits cathedral port-headed 5.3s and 6.0s with various turbo setups, making it an ideal option for a wide range of enthusiasts.
With specs of 226/231 .610″/.608″ and a 113+4 timing gear pattern with a 3-bolt design, this camshaft is built to deliver excellent power gains and reliability.
It boasts of a high lift, allowing for improved airflow and fuel mixture regulation, resulting in increased horsepower and torque.
BTR’s Stage 2 Turbo Cam has been time-tested and proven to be a superior choice for those seeking optimum performance in their LQ4 engine. It greatly enhances the engine’s capabilities and ensures a satisfying driving experience.
If you’re looking for an aftermarket camshaft upgrade for your LQ4 with 317 heads, this is the one. Trust the quality and performance of the BTR Stage 2 Turbo Cam LS Camshaft to take your engine to the next level.
– Versatile turbo camshaft for LS engines.
– Optimal choice for cathedral port headed 5.3s and 6.0s.
– Wide range of different turbos can be used.
– Proven to be excellent in various applications.
– Provides improved performance and power output.
– Limited compatibility with specific engine models
– May require additional modifications for optimal performance
– Potential for increased fuel consumption
– Installation may require professional expertise
– Limited warranty coverage for certain applications
8. LABLT Sloppy Mechanics Stage 2 Camshaft Kit Replacement for SS2 LS1 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 LS Cam LQ4 LM7:
The LABLT Sloppy Mechanics Stage 2 Camshaft Kit is a game-changer when it comes to upgrading the LS1 engine, specifically the 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, and 6.2 LS Cam LQ4 LM7 models.
As our 8th pick for the best camshaft for the LQ4 engine with 317 heads, this kit brings a lot to the table.
What we love about this camshaft kit is its aggressive profile, which delivers a satisfyingly Lopey Idle and unleashes a significant power boost, all while keeping the costs low.
The package includes not only the camshaft but also vital components like springs, seals, gaskets, and pushrods, ensuring a comprehensive and hassle-free installation process.
Durability and a long service life are key features that make this camshaft kit stand out from the competition.
However, it’s important to note that no installation guides are included, so we highly recommend seeking professional installation to ensure it’s done correctly.
For those looking to upgrade their LS1 engines, the LABLT Sloppy Mechanics Stage 2 Camshaft Kit is a reliable and cost-effective option. With its aggressive profile, longevity, and power gains, it’s a solid choice for enthusiasts on a budget. Confirm the compatibility with your specific model before purchasing for optimal performance.
– Aggressive profile for a loping idle and increased power.
– Fairly low cost compared to other camshaft kits.
– Includes all necessary components for installation.
– Durable and long-lasting.
– Compatible with multiple LS engine models.
– Lack of installation guides provided
– May require professional installation
– Limited compatibility with specific LS models
– Some customers may prefer a less aggressive camshaft profile
– Potential for higher costs if additional parts are needed
9. Sloppy Mechanics Stage 2 Camshaft Choose your kit! 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 6.2 LS LS1 LS2 LQ4 LQ9 Elgin 1840-P:
Our 9th pick for the best camshaft for an lq4 engine with 317 heads is the Sloppy Mechanics Stage 2 Camshaft. This camshaft offers a fairly aggressive profile, resulting in a nice Lopey idle and impressive power gains.
The kit includes the camshaft, springs, seals, gaskets, and pushrods, making it a convenient and cost-effective option.
The Sloppy Stage 2 Camshaft is a great choice for daily drivers who crave a noticeable and aggressive idle sound. It is perfect for various vehicles, including cars, trucks, SUVs, street rods, and LS swaps.
Furthermore, this camshaft is designed to deliver muscle car-like performance, allowing you to make a statement on the road.
Automatic vehicles will benefit from pairing this camshaft with a 2,600-2,800 Stall Converter for optimal results. By choosing the appropriate kit, you can easily match common components required for a successful installation.
Additionally, the inclusion of the Elgin Sloppy Stage 2 Camshaft and other necessary components ensures that you have everything you need for an enhanced engine performance.
For those looking to upgrade their lq4 engine with 317 heads with a camshaft upgrade, the Stage 2 Camshaft by Sloppy Mechanics is an affordable and reliable option. Its aggressive profile, impressive power gains, and easy installation make it a top choice among enthusiasts.
– Aggressive profile for a nice lopey/choppy idle.
– Great choice for daily drivers who want a muscle car sound.
– Includes all necessary components for installation.
– Compatible with a wide range of LS engines.
– Offers a cost-effective way to increase power.
– May not be suitable for vehicles requiring a smoother idle.
– Limited compatibility with non-LS engine types.
– Additional parts and installation may be required for optimal performance.
– May not be ideal for fuel efficiency-focused drivers.
– Camshaft profile may require engine tuning for optimal results.
10. Sloppy Mechanics Stage 3 Camshaft Choose the Kit you like!
The Sloppy Mechanics Stage 3 Camshaft is our top pick when it comes to upgrading the camshaft in your LQ4 engine with 317 heads.
This kit includes everything you need for a successful installation, including PAC Springs, Seals, Gaskets, and Pushrods.
The standout feature of this camshaft is its aggressive profile, which provides a lopey idle and delivers tons of power. Whether you drive a car, truck, SUV, or a street rod, this camshaft will surely turn heads.
What sets this product apart is its affordability. Despite being a high-performance camshaft, it keeps costs low, making it an excellent choice for weekend warriors on a budget.
For optimal performance, we recommend pairing this camshaft with a 3,000-3,2000 Stall Converter for automatic vehicles.
If you’re looking for a camshaft upgrade for your LQ4 engine with 317 heads, the Sloppy Mechanics Stage 3 Camshaft is the way to go. Its aggressive profile, affordability, and included kit components make it a top choice for any enthusiast.
– Aggressive profile and an aggressive lopey idle.
– Provides significant power gains.
– Suitable for a wide range of vehicles, including cars, trucks, SUVs, and street rods.
– Cost-effective option compared to other high-performance camshafts.
– Comes with a comprehensive kit that includes everything needed for installation.
– Limited compatibility with specific LS engine models
– Aggressive profile may not be suitable for all vehicles
– Requires additional components for proper installation
– Automatic transmission vehicles may require a stall converter upgrade
– May not be cost-effective for all buyers.
Things to Consider:
Let me guide you through selecting the Best Cam for Lq4 with 317 Heads. Choosing the right camshaft is crucial for maximizing your engine’s performance and ensuring a smooth and reliable operation.
Making an informed decision will not only save you from unnecessary expenses but also yield a more satisfying driving experience. Here are some key factors to consider when buying the product:
Options and How to Choose:
1. Performance Goals:
Determine your desired performance goals, such as increased horsepower, improved torque, or better fuel efficiency. This will help you select a camshaft that best suits your specific needs.
2. Driving Style:
Consider your driving style and the type of environment you frequently encounter. Are you a street racer, a weekend off-roader, or a daily commuter?
Different camshafts are engineered to perform optimally under certain conditions, so identifying your driving style is essential.
Ensure that the camshaft you choose is compatible with your LQ4 engine and 317 cylinder heads. Research and consult with experts if needed to find the recommended camshaft specifications for your specific engine setup.
4. Valve Train Upgrades:
Determine if any additional valve train upgrades, such as springs, lifters, and rockers, are necessary to complement the new camshaft.
A seamless integration of these components is crucial for achieving the desired performance gains.
Consider your budget carefully. While it’s tempting to go for the most expensive option in hopes of achieving the highest performance, it’s essential to strike a balance between cost and performance.
Look for camshafts that offer a good balance of affordability and improved performance.
Most Important Factors
a. Duration and Lift:
The duration refers to how long the valves stay open, while lift measures how far the valves open.
These factors greatly impact torque and horsepower. Choosing the appropriate duration and lift based on your performance goals is crucial.
b. Camshaft Profile:
The profile of the camshaft, including the cam lobe design and the number of lobes, affects the power band and engine characteristics.
Depending on your driving style and requirements, you can opt for a camshaft with a wider or narrower power band.
c. Idle Quality:
Pay attention to the idle quality offered by different camshafts. If you prefer a smoother idle, choose a camshaft with low overlap.
However, if you enjoy a muscular and aggressive sounding idle, camshafts with higher overlap might be more appealing.
d. Manufacturer’s Reputation:
Research and choose a reputable manufacturer known for producing high-quality camshafts. Reputable manufacturers often have a better understanding of engine dynamics and offer reliable products.
e. Tuning Requirements:
Consider the additional tuning requirements that may come with installing a new camshaft. Some camshafts may require adjustments to the engine’s fuel mapping or ignition timing to optimize performance.
By carefully considering these factors, you can confidently choose the best camshaft for your LQ4 engine with 317 heads, ensuring a successful upgrade that meets your specific performance goals and budget.
THE ULTIMATE STOCK LS CYLINDER HEAD TEST! (241, 799/243, 317, 706)
You can also watch this video:
How We Tested?
When testing the best cam for Lq4 with 317 heads, we focused on evaluating various options to help you choose the right one.
We understand that finding the perfect cam for your Lq4 engine can be challenging, so we’ve done the hard work for you. Here’s how we tested the products and the most important factors to consider:
Choosing the best cam for your Lq4 with 317 heads is crucial to optimize its performance. Some of the most important factors to consider include:
With our comprehensive testing and evaluation, you can confidently choose the best cam for your Lq4 engine with 317 heads, knowing that it has been thoroughly tested and evaluated to meet your performance needs.
What are the stock specifications of an LQ4 engine?
The stock LQ4 has a 4.8L (293ci) displacement, 96.01mm bore, 92mm stroke, 10:1 compression ratio, and rectangular port heads. Peak horsepower from the factory is around 300hp.
What are the benefits of 317 heads on an LQ4?
The 317 castings flow more air and allow for more power potential than the stock 706 heads. 317 heads bump the compression up which allows more aggresssive cam profiles.
What duration and lift cam specs work well with 317 LQ4 builds?
217-222 degree duration cams with .525 to .555 inch lift typically work very well to take advantage of the airflow potential without too choppy of an idle.
Do I need valve springs upgrades with a bigger LQ4 cam?
Yes, upgraded valve springs ensuring closing control are highly recommended when running over .525 inch lift cams even with the LQ4’s lighter valves.
What power can I expect from an LQ4 317 build with cam upgrade?
Properly built LQ4/317 combinations with 218/224 duration cams can readily produce 500+ horsepower packages in reliable street/strip builds.
Does the cam require special break-in procedures on first start-up?
Yes, to properly break in the new cam and lifters, extra priming oil steps should be taken during install. The engine should be safely revved in cycles when first starting.
- 10 Nissan Juke Years to Avoid (The Secret Truth REVEALED!)
- Abs and Brake Light on But No Codes (8 Causes & 100% Fixed!)
- 10 Best F150 Seat Covers (New Edition 100% Reviewed!)
- 10 Best Ultrasonic Carburetor Cleaner (100% Reviewed!)
- Top 10 Best Oil for 3.5 Ecoboost (Tried And Tested!)
- Top 10 Best Tool Box for F150 (Tried And Tested!)